Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

I can't help but remember The Mortal Instruments series while reading this one,you get used to the way the characters of both series are alike, the concept, her writing style and plot development. However, what made me admire her was the incredible way she still keeps me glued to the story.

As expected, the first book of the Infernal Devices series didn't frustrate or disappoint me. Compared to The Mortal Instruments, it's as exciting, action-packed, romantic, and full of shocking revelations. In fact, it's even better. I can think of a few reasons why...

I liked that the setting used is Victorian London complete with Victorian houses, their clothes, horse-pulled carriages, and let's not forget their British accent! I adore the female lead, Tessa, she is less annoying than Clary. She has cool abilities, and of course, I like anyone who likes books. Will, for me is close to an anachronism, his attitude wouldn't pass for an English gentleman during their time. He's rude that sometimes you'd want to hurl him out of the books. Then he gets so sweet and kind that your heart melts with his, then he goes back to the bad boy image. So I'm kind of confused. He looks drop dead gorgeous but there's a mysterious side of him that he still keeps as a secret. I'm definitely going to watch out for it. Jem is the nice guy who Tessa magically bumps into when she's having a hard time and then gives her advice. Well, I'm sensing a love triangle.

Also, the story is more interesting. There are no spontaneous unimportant-to-the-plot attacks from demons that would make you think "What stroke of luck they have for always seeing one!" Every scene contributes to the overall plot or the revelation in the end. Speaking of the ending, it's great, exciting, and worth reading the entire book. The narrator's omniscient point of view helps a great deal in arousing reader's interest. Will definitely left me hanging by a cliff when he is meeting with Magnus Bane. He's about to tell what the problem is, then that's it, the next thing I know I was staring at a blank page. The novel ended with a question mark.

Could this be the secret Will is so worried about? The reason why he doesn't want any involvement with Tessa? I can't wait to read the sequel and discover it!

I give this 5 of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment