Saturday, April 14, 2012

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

A lot of reviewers preferred this more than the first book, If I Stay, so now I know why.


 It may be because it gives justice to the love story everyone's been waiting for. But no matter how i look at it i still think that the first book is way better. Where she went is told from the point of view of Adam after Mia's miraculous recovery from her coma. So i know girls would like to know what goes inside the mind of the oh-so-cool-emo-rockstar Adam Wilde. 


As expected, Gayle Forman's writing didn't fail to capture the hearts of the readers. We witness how Adam reaches the peak of his career and at the same time how his interest in it plummets down. It is heartbreaking to see Adam wallow in misery of letting Mia go when they took their separate ways, as if she is all he's ever wanted in his life. However, the story lost its spark after this. Gone were the scenes that almost made me cry and made me rethink my life. Replaced by the scenes of how a rockstar led a crappy life and my hatred for the girl who left him out of the blue. So what happened? It's probably because the story focuses more on  the love between Mia and Adam. I mean there's not much to write about because her family is already gone. I'm not against their love, actually, I was kind of glued to them, my heart flutters with Mia while reading if I Stay. But what i didn't like is how the story unfolds, there's not much conflict. You'll sympathize with Adam but that's just it. They were both just reluctant to admit that they love each other no matter what the circumstances are. 


Well, I must say the sequel is good in its own way and didn't disappoint me because I didn't expect it to have a part 2. After Mia squeezed Adam's hand, I just assumed that they'd live happily ever after. So I didn't expect anything. But hey, a closure to their love story is better than an open ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment