Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I finally read Divergent after hearing quite a buzz about it. It was often compared to the Hunger games so I got even more excited. Although I would still consider HG as the best dytopian novel, Divergent missed by a few points.

The society Veronica Roth pictured as dystopia was strange at the same time genius. The atmosphere seem oppressed and dark. The five factions: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless,Erudite and Amity are great representations of what personalities of people in the real world are. I liked the heroine, Tris, because she is fearless and doesn't act like a damsel in distress like someone I know. Four or Tobias( Tobias sounds funny and weak for his personality btw) was cool though he's not even trying to be overly heroic. The other characters have great attributes as well, it's exciting to watch them interact. There are times when it gets too violent you'd think "Was that even necessary?" but Roth  was just probably doing something new that we don't normally read from a YA novel. 

The ending was okay but I wanted more action scenes because that's what I was expecting. I also liked the look of the society.  The way I imagined it is believable, how the dauntless rides their trains and how each person acts according to their chosen faction. Anyway, it's a great book and I can tell why so many people compared this to the Hunger Games. 

I give this 4/5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed Divergent too! Check out my review of it: http://burstingbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/review-divergent-by-veronica-roth.html

    I am a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete