Saturday, April 14, 2012

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

I've read enough of dystopian novels to know which society is believable or not, which is likely to happen in the future or not. I can say that Uglies is one that is impossible to happen, far-fetched even. I mean how in the world would we find solution to the world's biggest problems by merely turning pretty. After reading the first few chapters, those are my thoughts. The main character may have contributed a lot to my lack of interest. Tally is so vain that she feels being pretty is the only thing that matters and without it your life is miserable being ugly. I admit I was kind of annoyed by her shallowness and also her longing for Peris whom I also dislike because he's not a true friend with his we-could-friends-again-only-if-you-turn-pretty attitude. So I was hesitant to continue, but thankfully I gained interest as the story progresses. I realized that this attitude that i hated at first are the doings of the authorities. They are the ones who manipulate and control the people. It gets interesting when Tally changes her outlook. That even though a person doesn't have the perfect symmetrical features, he/she could be beautiful inside, as in the case of Tally and David. I think this moral is what makes the book interesting. Indeed, true beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Bottom line is the story is good with an insightful lesson we often deny but we become victims of for so many times. It's slow and boring at first, but it gets better afterwards.The ending went quite well that it will surely leave the readers anticipating the next book.


I give this book 4/5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment