Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Been infected with amor deliria nervosa for a while now.

I kept on thinking how Lauren Oliver came up with a beautiful concept. Love as a disease sounds impossible and absurd at first. But it was introduced in a brilliant way with all the poems and paragraph from books Oliver created, adding to the dystopic atmosphere during their times. I even found myself anticipating the beginning of every chapter. 

Plus the incredible writing skills of the author, her writing is just pure and heartfelt I didn't get tired reading how the story unfolds. I've been very much into dystopian novels lately so reading one was a pleasure to me. I wouldn't compare it to the Hunger Games because I clearly understand the author steered clear from the kind of story HG is famous for. It is not as action-packed but it focuses more on the love story. Of course it's natural when it talks of love being a disease. This books's emotional inclination to the readers is what made it more interesting. 

The plot chronicles the development of the forbidden love and as all forbidden love goes, there will come a time when people will try to tear it apart, which brings us to the ending. I was impatiently waiting for the big climax when the there will be a great battle or something similar but it was rather different. After reading the last few paragraphs, I stared at the remaining blank pages and couldn't believe it ended that way.

I wanted to go inside the book and throw Alex to the other side of the fence because I didn't want to see sacrifices or even Romeo and Juliet references. The sight was just too unbearable. This is an emotional novel, and I would recommend it to any sappy love story/dystopian fanatic out there. Next book. pandemonium!

I give this book 5 stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment