Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Meghan Chase is the typical high school girl who wants to fit in. She's unpopular, not that rich, and has a big crush on the football player . You would take one look at her life and decide it's boring. However, everything turns upside down after her little brother, Ethan, disappears. She discovers the children stories she's known when she was a child were true, that faeries are true, that her bestfriend, Robbie is one of them, and his name is Puck, not only that, she's the daughter of King Oberon! She goes to Nevernever on a quest to find her missing brother. But she'll soon find out a deeper dilemma that is much bigger than her losing her brother.


The Iron King by Julie Kagawa brings back the pleasure of reading fantasy novels like The Harry Potter series, The Fablehaven series, with all its magical creatures and a new facsinating world (Nevernever) you'd surely want to explore. It also reminds me of Narnia, I guess it's because how they first got there is through a closet. It is divided into two courts : the summer court (Seelie Court) and the winter court (Unseelie Court) where a winter prince named Ash lives. He's handsome but I didn't like that he's cold I mean literally cold because i can't imagine it without a vampire stalker lurking into my mind. I also hoped it didn't made references to A Midsummer's Night Dream because I was clueless as to what it is. It became interesting because its characters are personified in the book, namely Robin Goodfellow, Tatiana, Oberron, etc. But it's probaly for those who have read and can relate to it, right? The heroine is great, she's brave and has a heart to the ones she loves. And I also like Grimalkin, always helpful and interesting. It reminds me of the cat in the Alice in Wonderland. Also, the author made emphasis on the baneful effects of technology, it's definitely cliche but it's good to read a different plot now and then. 


The ending went pretty well and it kept me guessing whether Ash will still surrender Meghan to the queen. So I have to read the next book to know what'll happen! All in all it was a good story, this is a must read to anyone who is a fan of fantasy novels. 


I give this 4/5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment